There is no doubt that the rings, flowers, dress and reception are important parts of any wedding, however quite often it’s the honeymoon that packs the most memories for a newly married couple. Though honeymoons in Paris, Australia, and other exotic locations are fantastic options, there are many spectacular opportunities within North America. Here are ten honeymoon destinations that future brides and grooms may want to consider for their upcoming wedding.
- South Florida and the Keys– Whether it’s Miami’s South Beach, Sanibel Island, or the Florida Keys, the South Florida region is growing in popularity among newly married couples. Miami’s art deco feel, eclectic restaurants, and variety of clubs are perfect for those looking for 24/7 partying. Those couples looking for a little quieter week away may want to travel up the Gulf coast to Sanibel Island. Known for its sunsets, beaches, and shell collecting, Sanibel would be the answer for lazy days and romantic nights. And for those looking for a little bit of everything, maybe a honeymoon in Key West is in order. With its beaches along the Atlantic, bars next to bars next to bars along Duval Street, and a variety of water recreation and snorkeling, Key West is guaranteed to provide non-stop fun.
- Napa Valley– California’s wine country has started attracting honeymooners at an impressive pace over the past decade. Couples now have a large variety of accommodations to choose from. Hotels & spas offer guests luxury and pampering, while staying at a Bed & breakfast provide a simple, low key experience. Most stays offer wine tours through the Napa and Sonoma wine country, train rides through the valleys, and opportunities for hot air balloon rides over the miles of vineyards.
- Niagara Falls– Known as America’s first honeymoon destination, Niagara Falls still attracts newlyweds from all over the world. Though the U.S. side of Niagara Falls offers amazing views and impressive casinos, it’s a no-brainier to flash your passport at the border and take in the fun and excitement of the Canadian side of the Falls. Clifton Hillhas a huge variety of attractions, restaurants and shopping. Several casinos line the parkway, with upscale restaurants and fun nightlife. And of course, don’t forget the falls.Rides on the Maid of the Mist will take visitors closer to the falls than they would ever thought you would be. Nightly light shows and weekly fireworks at the Falls also offer opportunities for spectacular memories.
- Hawaii– Choose an island, any island. Chances are wherever a couple chooses to stay when visiting the Hawaiian Islands they are in for a once in a lifetime experience. From the spectacular beaches to the wonderful nightlife, the choices of Hawaii are endless. One of the more popular experiences when visiting Hawaii is something called “Island Hopping”. Helicopter rides offer daily tours of the islands, while even an entire vacation can be designed to be spent a few days on each of the islands. Volcano tours, water sports, and snorkeling are just a few of the many things to do when visiting Hawaii.
- Cancun– Since the 1980s Cancun, Mexico’s popularity has seen a steady growth. With the creation of all-inclusive resorts, posh hotels and spas, and a variety of restaurants and entertainment, Cancun is quickly becoming a popular honeymoon destination. Temperatures throughout the year are warm in this tropical paradise, which makes it a popular destination any time of the year. Taking in the Mexican culture through guided tours is always recommended when visiting a location for the first time. Many local traditions would include visiting an actual bullfight held at Plaza deToros. Whether parasailing over the Gulf or lounging by the pools of your resort, sun and fun is in store when honeymooning in Cancun.
- Atlantis in the Bahamas– Located on Paradise Island, Nassau, Bahamas, the resort of Atlantis is truly remarkable. Quickly becoming one of the most popular locations for destination weddings and honeymoons, Atlantis has it all. With six different locations to choose from, eleven unique pools, a world-renown waterpark, brilliant beaches, spectacular restaurants, and a complimentary shuttle to all locations on the island, it’s no wonder that couples by the hundreds are selecting Atlantis as their honeymoon destination.
- Disney World– Since 1971 thousands of little girls have imagined getting married in the shadows of Cinderella’s Castle at Walt Disney World, Florida. Over the last twenty years Disney has made hundreds of those dreams come true. But not only has Disney made their destination wedding experience one of the most popular anywhere in the world, their honeymoon packages have seemingly grown exponentially. The resorts and spas found at Disney World are as unique as Goody and Mickey. The four amusement parks and two waterparks are full of fun and wonder, offering “Extended Magic Hours” to all Disney resort guests, which means getting into the parks earlier or staying later than those not staying on the grounds for better access to the rides and attractions. Not only do the parks and resorts have tremendous restaurants, the newly renovated Downtown Disney and Boardwalk areas also provide great dining, dancing, and shopping experiences.
- Cape Cod– For decades Cape Cod, Massachusetts has been a favorite summertime choice for honeymooners. Whether staying in the quaint eclectic town of Provincetown,the spectacular Ocean Edge Resort in Brewster, or venturing out to the islands of Martha’s Vineyard or Nantucket, the Cape Cod experience is filled with romance. Sightseeing from Hyannis to Edgartown, taking in the shops and eateries of the area, and enjoying the summer sun along the Atlantic will surely provide memories for years to come when visiting Cape Cod.
- New York City– What can be said about NYC, that hasn’t been said dozens of times before? From Broadway to Yankee Stadium, SoHo to the Upper East Side, or Times Square to Central Park, New York, New York has everything for a newlywed couple. Hotels, restaurants, and shopping are literally around every corner (and ‘on’ every corner for that matter). Getting around Gotham is easier than ever, with taxis, subways, and Multi-day “Hop On, Hop Off” tour passes. Whether a newly married couple is looking for a romantic carriage ride through Central Park, taking in a dinner cruise on the Hudson, or enjoying a stroll through the Museum of Sex (appropriately referred to as the “MoSex”), the attractions of the Big Apple are endless. Shopping on Canal Street, having a draft at George Washington’s favorite hang out- Fraunces Tavern, or taking in a solemn moment at the 9/11 Memorial are just a few of the hundreds of things to do in the City That Never Sleeps.
- Cruises- If a couple wants to experience a variety of places, while indulging in endless food, drink, and entertainment, perhaps a cruise is what the Love Doctor has ordered. Departing from several ports along the Atlantic, Pacific, and Gulf coasts, cruises allow newlyweds to experience many different locations, for various lengths of stay, while sticking to their newlywed budget. Ports of call in the Atlantic include Bermuda, the Bahamas, and Caribbean. When cruising through the Gulf of Mexico, couples can enjoy stays in Key West, the Caribbean, and Cancun. Pacific cruises can head north to Alaska, or south to Acapulco and Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.
We would love to hear from you, or readers, and have you tell us what you think of our Top Ten, and locations that you would add to the list. Drop us a line from our website or follow us on Twitter: @EdFayette, and attach pictures from your honeymoon.